Mets Rebound, Beat Bosox, 5-4

first_imgNEW YORK — Michael Cuddyer hit a tiebreaking single in the seventh inning and the NL East-leading New York Mets stopped their five-game home skid, averting a sweep by beating the Boston Red Sox 5-4 on Aug. 30.Cuddyer kept up his three-week surge since coming off the disabled list, going 3-for-3 with a walk. His go-ahead hit came after Daniel Murphy stole second base with two outs.Boston slugger David Ortiz lined his 494th home run, moving past Lou Gehrig and Fred McGriff for 27th place on the career list.The last-place Red Sox were denied their first road sweep of the season. They won the first two at Citi Field, games started by Mets aces Matt Harvey and Jacob deGrom.Tyler Clippard (2-0) got four outs for the win. Jeurys Familia worked around two singles to begin the ninth, striking out Mookie Betts with runners at the corners to close out his 35th save in 40 chances.Before the game, the Mets completed their trade to get reliever Addison Reed from Arizona. The Mets hope Reed can fill the seventh-inning role and give their tired bullpen a break.Robbie Ross Jr. (0-2) walked David Wright with one out in the seventh and Murphy grounded into a force play. Heath Hembree relieved and, after Murphy stole on the first pitch, Cuddyer singled through the left side.Boston scored twice in the seventh to tie it at 4. Pinch-hitter Jackie Bradley Jr. hit an RBI double with two outs that finished starter Noah Syndergaard.Hansel Robles relieved and, after Bradley stole third without a throw, Betts wound up with an odd, tying triple.Betts hit a high fly that fell down the left field line far in front of Cuddyer as Wright and shortstop Ruben Tejada gave chase. Betts saw no one covering third, and easily beat Wright to the bag.Juan Uribe had a two-run double and scored on Anthony Recker’s single in the sixth, giving the Mets a 4-2 lead.Ortiz hit a two-run shot in the sixth that put Boston ahead 3-2. Syndergaard singled home Cuddyer in the second against Wade Miley.(BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Mary Kom raises concern over Delhi air pollution ahead of AIBA World Championships

first_imgThe deteriorating air quality of Delhi-NCR has become a matter of grave concern for one and all. As the city is due to host AIBA Women’s World Championships at the IG Stadium from November 15 to 24, the rising air pollution has it worrying the celebrated woman boxer MC Mary Kom. On Wednesday, she expressed her concern over the poor air quality in Delhi, especially for the foreign athletes who will participate in the event.”The situation is very dangerous in Delhi and it was same last year,” Mary Kom said. “At night, it gets worse. Since we are used to training here, we don’t have any major problems and we can cope with it but for foreign athletes, it might be a little more difficult. It will be good if the players come four or five days before the competition. They will be able to adjust to the situation.”Boxing Federation of India (BFI) president Ajay Singh, however, was confident that poor air quality of the city is not something to worry about.”Boxers will stay in a good hotel, come in AC bus and train here inside the stadium. So, I don’t think there will be any problem for them,” he told Mail Today. “If situation gets worse further, we will act accordingly.”Boxer Sarita Devi said, “The stadium is surrounded by a lot of trees, so there is not much problem here but if you step outside, the air is killing.”STILL HUNGRYMary Kom said she has no plans to hang up her gloves and wants to continue till 2020 Tokyo Games in a bid to fulfill her dream of winning an Olympic gold.advertisement”I am not yet done. I will carry on till 2020. I am fit, training hard and confident. I will try my best to bring glory for the country,” said Mary.Magnificent Mary, as she is fondly called, has five World Championships titles under her belt besides numerous other crowns, including Asian Games gold and bronze in London Olympics. Parenting three doting kids, the mother still remains hungry for more and wants to give a last shot at gold in 2020 Tokyo.The 35-year-old from Manipur will compete in her pet 48kg category at the World Championships here. But with the 48kg weight category not a part of women’s boxing in the Olympics, Mary said she will shift to 51kg.”My first priority would be to qualify for the Olympics and I will give my best shot. For Olympics may be I will have to shift to 51kg category as 48kg is not there,” she said on the sidelines of the logo and official anthem launch of the World Championships.Meanwhile, the BFI president Ajay Singh also revealed that the federation is planning to give central contracts to its pugilists in the next six months. If the plan sees the light of the day, BFI would be following in the footsteps of the BCCI and the Wrestling Federation of India in offering the security of a contract to its wards.last_img read more