Baia Restaurant Demolition Leaves One Less Eatery in Area

first_imgThe Baia Restaurant on Bay Avenue in Somers Point is torn down. By Maddy VitaleDemolition crews began knocking down the former Baia Restaurant, 998 Bay Ave. in Somers Point, and at this point, city officials say they aren’t sure what will become of the property.“The owner, GMH Restaurant Holdings LLC, took out a demolition permit and yesterday they began demolition,” said Planning and Zoning Board Administrator Jayne Meischker.She said at this time there are no applications before either the planning or zoning boards for a new restaurant or other business at the site.Baia touted its ambience, delicious cuisine and fantastic bayfront views on its website. It opened in 2011.The eatery was “where contemporary Italian cuisine is matched with an unrivaled ocean view and exhilarating entertainment,” according to the restaurant’s website www.baiarestaurant.com.The restaurant highlighted its water views as a stunning attraction. (Photo credit baiarestaurant.com)The website continued, “Outside, you’ll find a sun baked deck and crisp ocean air, partnered with weekly live entertainment and casual dining. Inside the restaurant, enjoy a more intimate dining experience, perfect for large families and groups of friends to gather.”But on Thursday and into Friday crews were busy tearing down the structure. A worker operated a giant excavator that grabbed at chunks of the building.Piece by piece the outer shell of the structure came crashing down into a heap of dusty debris.Reports are circulating around Somers Point that it will be turned into a Tiki Bar or condominiums will replace the business.Baia was the last restaurant brand to operate at the site. Previously, the Inlet restaurant occupied the space. Prior to that it was Sails. It also was The Waterfront, according to a food blog, hungrypilgrims.The demolition leaves Somers Point with one fewer restaurant in a high-profile location along the Bay Avenue corridor.Baia was the latest in a series of restaurant brands that operated at the Bay Avenue site over the years.last_img read more

Peabody Museum’s Faculty Executive Committee to convene

first_imgThe Peabody Museum’s new Faculty Executive Committee convenes today, bringing together more than a dozen professors and administrators to help create an ethos of social responsibility and accountability for the museum to descendent communities.Chaired by anthropology professor Matthew Liebmann, the interdisciplinary committee of 14 will prioritize ethical stewardship of the Peabody collections, and it will examine the ways in which the museum collections can provide opportunities for self-reflection/reconciliation of Harvard’s history. It will also pay particular attention to issues surrounding the physical care and storage of the collection.Members of the committee, which will advise Peabody director Jane Pickering and report to FAS Dean Claudine Gay, are: Dean of Social Science Lawrence D. BoboMembers of the committee, which will advise Peabody director Jane Pickering and report to FAS Dean Claudine Gay, are: Dean of Social Science Lawrence D. Bobo, James Duncan Phillips Professor of Early American History Joyce Chaplin, History professor Philip Deloria; John Cowles Research Professor of Anthropology in the Department of Human Evolutionary Biology Peter Ellison; John E. Hudson Professor of Archeology and Acting Chair of the Department of Anthropology Rowan Flad; Associate Provost for Arts and Culture Lori E. Gross; Barbara Gutmann Rosenkrantz Professor of and Chair of the History of Science, and Professor of African and African American Studies Evelynn M. Hammonds; Chair of Human Evolutionary Biology Joseph Henrich; Assistant professor of History of Art and Architecture and Shutzer Assistant Professor at Radcliffe Shawon Kinew; FAS Dean for Administration and Finance Leslie Kirwan; Director of Undergraduate Studies and Senior Lecturer in Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality Caroline Light; G. Gordon Watts Professor of Music and Professor of African and African America Studies Kay Kaufman Shelemay; and Professor of Anthropology and of South Asian Studies Ajantha Subramanian.last_img read more

Church pastor exposed as a career con artist

first_imgSPAC Nation.SPAC Nation claims it is helping disadvantaged young people – but former members say that its leaders, including Mariam, encourage young congregants to take out loans and give huge sums to the church.  A criminal investigation is currently underway into allegations of fraud and other offences relating to individuals associated with SPAC Nation, according to police.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – Mariam Mbula seems to have it all. But this self-styled entrepreneur is actually a career con artist who has served time all over Europe. Mariam is currently a senior pastor with a notorious church: – Advertisement – Executive Producer: Nisha Lilia Diu Here, Mariam’s victims expose the truth.Watch the full documentary Catch Her if You Can on iPlayerProduced & directed by Ben Bryant and Claire Burnett- Advertisement –last_img read more

Guardiola to stick with City despite ban: reports

first_imgRead Also: EPL: Mourinho jokes Man Utd deserve 17/18 title after placing second to City“Everyone has been told they need to stay professional but also there is an understanding that they have their own decisions to make,” said the source.UEFA announced the sanction on Friday, with European football’s governing body punishing City for what it said were “serious” financial fair-play breaches between 2012 and 2016.City were also fined 30 million euros ($32.5 million).The heavy sanctions relate to an alleged overstatement of sponsorship revenue in the club’s efforts to comply with financial fair-play rules.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… The 49-year-old Spaniard is said by The Times to have told both the City board and the players he will be staying despite the sanction and reported interest from Serie A champions Juventus. Guardiola, who has been at City for four years, told the players of his intention at a meeting on Saturday.The paper said he was expected to announce he is staying at a press conference on Tuesday, the eve of their re-arranged Premier League match with West Ham.However, it is far from certain he will hold one.He and his West Ham counterpart David Moyes had already performed the pre-match media duties prior to the February 9 game being postponed due to Storm Ciara.The Sun claims the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich manager has told friends he is going to at least see out his contract with the club which runs until 2021.He is old friends with City executives Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain and enjoys an amicable relationship with club chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak.“He is not the kind of person whose first thought is to leave when things turn bad,” sources close to Guardiola told The Daily Telegraph.According to those sources Guardiola – who was informed of the UEFA ruling prior to its official announcement when he returned from a break in Barcelona on Friday – is “calm” about the ban.Guardiola has won two Premier League titles, an FA Cup, and twice lifted the League Cup since arriving at the Etihad Stadium in 2016.– ‘Their own decisions’ –As for the players the Daily Mail says they will stay too, although the Telegraph state the opposite should the club lose the appeal.England striker Raheem Sterling has been the subject of rumours surrounding a likely bid by Real Madrid – who City face in the Champions League last 16 later this month.However, agent Aidy Ward, who has represented Sterling since he was at school, told the Daily Mail his client was focused on City and not any transfer speculation.“Raheem is solely focused on Manchester City and will not be distracted by any talk of transfers at the moment,” said Ward.The club, though, according to the Telegraph, will leave it up to the individuals once the decision on the appeal is delivered, which they believe will be in May.center_img Pep Guardiola has told friends he is going to remain as manager of Manchester City even if the appeal against their two-year European football ban is rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), according to media reports on Monday.Advertisement Promoted Content6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better6 Extreme Facts About Hurricaneslast_img read more

Justice dep’t to ‘closely monitor’ BuCor reforms

first_img“I have directed the interim DOJoversight committee to closely monitor reforms being initiated by the new BuCorleadership and ensure that such reforms are being implemented within the boundsof the law and with due consideration for the well-being of inmates in ourpenitentiaries,” he said. “Supervision includes callingattention to actions which are improper, unlawful, or way out of bounds. Italso includes instituting disciplinary action whenever warranted.” MANILA – Justice Secretary MenardoGuevarra has ordered the agency’s oversight committee to “closely monitor” thereforms under new Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Gerald Bantag. A Senate probe on the GCTA also revealed that even under President Rodrigo Duterte, who is tough on the illegal drug trade, drug lords continued to operate from behind bars. (With GMA News/PN) The bureau came under fire following itsalleged questionable implementation of the good conduct time allowance law(GCTA), allowing heinous crime convicts to be granted early release. Guevarra made the remark amid reports that the demolition of illegal structures in the national penitentiary made the harsh living conditions even harder, with some inmates claiming they were forced to sleep outside. BuCor and the Philippine National Policelast week began the demolition in a bid to stop preferential treatment andalleged illegal business dealings in the country’s main penitentiary. last_img read more