Government rules out compulsory vaccinations for benefit families

first_img3News 13 April 2015The Government has ruled out revisiting a proposal to penalise families who fail to immunise their children.It comes as Australia announces plans to stop taxpayer-funded childcare or benefits to those who choose not to vaccinate.Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has given people an injection of tough love. From January, Australian families who don’t vaccinate their children will lose up to $15,000 in welfare and benefits.“Taxpayers aren’t going to subsidise that choice for them,” says Mr Abbott.New Zealand isn’t about to inflict the same payment pain. Health Minister Jonathan Coleman doesn’t think it’s necessary and more importantly, neither does his boss, Prime Minister John Key.New Zealand’s rate of immunisation has been improving since the Government made it one of its six health targets. As of December last year, 94 percent of children were fully immunised at two years.Australian doctors think Mr Abbott is right, but Mark Peterson of the New Zealand Medical Association says penalising families is dangerous.“You could create a situation where the rich people have choice and the poor people who rely on benefits don’t have any choice, and we don’t think that’s appropriate,” says Dr Peterson.http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/government-rules-out-compulsory-vaccinations-for-benefit-families-2015041318#axzz3XEj8ZK4XKey rules out ‘no jab, no pay’ policyNZ Herald 14 April 2015Despite overwhelming evidence in favour of immunisation, the Government will not revisit a proposal to make it a condition of the benefit, Prime Minister John Key says.The Australian Government intends to stop benefit payments to parents who refuse to vaccinate their children.Such a “no jab, no pay” policy could cost parents more than A$15,000 ($15,255) a year per child.The New Zealand Government opted against a similar measure in 2012 because it believed immunisation should be the parents’ choice.Yesterday Mr Key said that decision would not be reviewed.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11432087last_img read more

Gay politician defends decision to ban referee from wearing rainbow wristband

first_imgAn out gay politician has backed the organisation in charge of Gaelic football’s decision to ban a referee from wearing a rainbow wristband during a match on Saturday.The Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) blocked official David Gough, who is gay, from wearing the rainbow band at Saturday’s match between Tyrone and Dublin.Mr Gough says his gesture was meant to be a statement to combat homophobia in sport – but the Gaelic Athletic Association maintains it is committed to being “apolitical” ahead of the same-sex marriage vote in May.Now openly gay Teachta Dála (TD) Jerry Buttimer said he understood why the GAA banned Gough from wearing the wristband.Speaking to the Irish Daily Star, he said: “The GAA have been very proactive in battling homophobia and had the wristband only signified that I am sure the referee would have been allowed wear it.“But I can see where the GAA is coming from in relation to the referendum issue.” The GAA told the Irish Independent: “It’s a black and white issue. The association is apolitical.“Any member is allowed to have their own political views or opinions outside but Croke Park is not the place to make political gestures.“We have been very consistent on this issue“The GAA is apolitical and does not allow political gestures at our games. Once the referendum was called and the people are asked to vote then it becomes political.”Mr Gough said he felt “disappointed and let down” by the decision, adding: “They have over-analysed and over-politicised a very simple gesture.” He added: “I had received permission at noon on Friday but then received a number of calls on Friday night and another at 7.30am yesterday when they told me they would not allow it.“I was told flatly that I could not do it. I am disappointed, dismayed and feel I, and all gay members of the association, have been let down.”last_img read more

Racela says he didn’t start verbal joust against Chua

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netTNT head coach Nash Racela said it wasn’t him who ignited the word war against Ginebra governor Alfrancis Chua during the halftime break of the PBA Governors’ Cup semifinals game 3.Racela and Chua engaged in a shouting match and traded barbs at the tunnel of Smart Araneta Coliseum Friday when the two teams headed into their locker rooms.ADVERTISEMENT Cone on freethrow disparity: Ginebra was the ‘more aggressive’ team Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award The TNT coach, though, did not divulge into details about the altercation.READ: Racela, Chua engage in shouting match at halftime FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“You guys want to know the truth?” asked Racela in Filipino to the members of the media who talked to him after TNT’s 1006-103 loss to the Gin Kings.“I might be fined if I say too much but you all know me, I won’t start something.” It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next DAY6 is for everybody MOST READ Racela and Chua had already exchanged heated words during the second quarter when TNT import Glen Rice Jr. and Ginebra rookie Kevin Ferrer got tangled up several times.READ: Nash Racela throws shade at ‘perfectly officiated ball game’It wasn’t until cooler heads prevailed that the two men were separated as Ginebra head coach Tim Cone pulled Chua into the Gin Kings’ locker while PBA Commissioner Chito Narvasa played peacemaker.“You guys know me too well, and you also know the other guys too well. That’s all I can say,” said Racela.ADVERTISEMENT Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson How to help the Taal evacuees View commentslast_img read more

SPORT-IPL 2 LAST

first_imgThe Rajasthan Cricket Association has been banned by the The Rajasthan Cricket Association has been banned by the BCCI for factionalism but Shukla said the venue will be available for IPL as the offer to host has come from the state government. “The offer has come from the government and they head the sports council. The stadium belongs to government so whatever will be done will be done through the government. These are only proposal which will be presented before the governing council,” he said. The BCCI had reacted sharply to the Courts order on Wednesday, saying that it would not be easy to move matches midway into the tournament. Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur were the three venues in Maharashtra holding IPL matches before a Public Interest Litigation was filed, alleging wastage of water in maintenance of pitches. The BCCI had asserted that it was not using potable water for ground maintenance and offered to supply water to the drought-affected areas. Shukla had gone to the extent of stating that Board could not have done anything more than this. However, taking a contrary view, Kings XI Punjab co-owner Ness Wadia, who was among the first to advocate shifting of matches, had welcomed the Court order, saying that he was glad that sensitivities of the drought-affected people in Maharashtra were being respected. BCCI Secretary Anurag Thakur had said that there was an attempt to create negativity around the league. “We are not using drinking water, we have said that well use treated sewage water only. How many swimming pools of 5 star hotels have been shut? Have people stopped watering their lawns?” Thakur had asked. “There is an attempt to create negativity on every issue these days. IPL was to use 0.00038 per cent of water so that shows the requirement was not much.” The sentiment had found support former captains Rahul Dravid and Sunil Gavaskar as well, both of whom felt that IPL and cricket had become soft targets to generate controversies. PTI KHS PM PMadvertisementlast_img read more